We’re putting the spring in saladsApril, 2018
This spring we’re craving some zing in our step and on our plate! We’ve got a salad to put a spring in your step, packed with immune-boosting citrus and ginger, from our friends at the Peanut Bureau of Canada.
Chicken Salad with Peanut Ginger-Citrus Dressing
Serves: Makes two entree salads
Cooking Time: 10 to 15 minutes
With bright flavours, this chicken salad provides nutritious and satisfying protein in every bite.
*Peanuts and peanut butter are healthy plant-based protein options. Remember to consider allergies before using ingredients. Recipe courtesy of the Peanut Bureau of Canada.
- 2-inch (5-cm) ginger, peeled and sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- ½ tsp (2 mL) dried chili flakes
- ½ tsp (2 mL) sea salt, or to taste
- ⅓ cup (75 mL) rice vinegar
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) peanut butter
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) sugar
- ¼ cup (60 mL) orange juice
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) soy sauce
- ¼ cup (60 mL) vegetable oil
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) peanut oil
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) sesame oil
- 2 cooked chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- ½ head of iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 2 cups (500 mL) mesclun mix
- ¼ cup (60 mL) shredded red cabbage
- ¼ cup (60 mL) jicama, julienned
- ¼ cup (60 mL) shredded carrots
- ¼ cup (60 mL) red onion, thinly sliced
- ½ cup (125 mL) chopped cilantro and/or fresh basil leaves
- ½ cup (125 mL) roasted whole peanuts
Place the dressing ingredients except for the peanut and sesame oil in a food processor and blend until smooth. Add the peanut oil and sesame oil and blend for another five seconds. Remove and set aside until ready to use.
Combine all the salad ingredients and half of the peanuts in a mixing bowl. Add the dressing, starting with about 3 tablespoons. Toss gently, adding more dressing as needed. Transfer to a platter and garnish with the remaining peanuts.
Tip: This salad dressing also makes a delicious marinade for chicken or shrimp.
This chicken salad promises to prove nutritious and satisfying protein in every bite for our active health-conscious COLD-FX’R! Snap a photo and share your favourite spring-time salad with us.