Guilt Free TreatsOctober, 2021
October is a month of indulgence: Thanksgiving desserts and Halloween treats. And you know what? That’s ok – in moderation. Feeding the soul is just as important as feeding your immune system. But if you’re feeling the need to get back on track, we’ve got some guilt-free ‘treat yourself’ inspiration!
- Natural sweeteners – try replacing heaps of sugar with naturally sweet ingredients like honey, agave, syrup or bananas! This is a fantastic option for baking.
- Alternate cooking oils – ditch the fatty oils and butter, and swap in items like applesauce, nut butters, or oils with more of the healthy fats, like olive, sesame and avocado oil. Olive and avocado oils are cooking favourites and offer the benefits of antioxidants.
- Dark chocolate – embrace the decadence! Dark chocolate is the perfect alternative to white or milk chocolate. It is filled with nutrients and antioxidants that other chocolates lack.
- Evaporated skim milk – while this option doesn’t work with every recipe, it’s a great alternative to heavy cream and for baking/desserts. Evaporated skim milk is high in protein and half the fat of heavy cream. When used as a liquid ingredient, there is little to no taste difference, but your heart will thank you!
1. Caramel Apple Nachos
Pub food + dessert = heaven. This delicious dessert has ‘spoil yourself’ written all over it and is just about the easiest recipe you could imagine.
- Cut apples (your choice!) into slices and spread out on a plate.
- Add on your favourite sweet toppings – caramel or chocolate sauce, Skor bits, toffee, you name it!
- Because the base of this recipe is so healthy, you can feel better about adding some of the more indulgent toppings.
- Try a dark chocolate drizzle, honey, cinnamon, or peanut butter for healthier toppings.
2. Sweet Potato Chips
Sweet potatoes can do anything a regular potato can but healthier!
- Peel and cut potatoes into thin medallions (a mandolin will make this easier).
- Toss in a mixture olive oil and your favourite seasonings. We recommend salt, pepper and rosemary.
- Spread out evenly on a baking sheet; bake at 400F for 10-12 minutes, flip once and bake for another 10-12. Remove once they’re golden and let sit for 5 minutes – then chow down with zero guilt!
3. Strawberry Sundaes
We’re taking Strawberry Sundaes literally. These are quite possibly the cutest healthy recipe you will ever see and something the kids can help with too.
- Slightly hollow out strawberries and cut off the very tip of the narrowest end (to help them stand upright).
- Fill the hollow part with a dollop of whip cream (or a small scoop of ice cream).
- Drizzle with chocolate sauce, add some sprinkles and then stick the (literal) cherry on top!
3. Baked Peaches
How do you make peaches even better? Bake ‘em! This decadent dessert is simple, healthy, and drool-worthy delicious.
- Start with ripe peaches (they should give a little when you poke them and are extra fragrant).
- Cut the peaches in half and remove the pits, then layer in a baking dish cut-side up.
- Mix and add filling to the peaches
- This is where you can personalize and experiment to your heart’s content.
- Brown sugar, honey, and cinnamon are the go-to’s but don’t be afraid to be daring.
- Consider drizzles of brandy, bourbon or rum for an extra (adults-only) kick.
- Bake in the oven at 350F for approximately 30 minutes (or until extremely tender and the filling is caramelized).
- Serve as is or with vanilla ice cream.
Browse some more guilt-free dessert ideas and share your favourite healthy treats with us on social!