Healthy Hydration for a Fresh Start to the New YearJanuary, 2021
Many people participate in Dry January to start off the new year with a break from alcohol. Whether you’re participating or have resolved to eat more enriching food this year, here are 3 healthy, non-alcoholic beverages you can make any time of the day.
Turmeric Ginger Fizz
Ginger and turmeric have anti-inflammatory effects and are also antioxidant, which is why they both have a history of use in various forms of traditional and alternative medicine. Ginger has been used to assist such issues as aiding digestion, reducing nausea, and soothe coughs one might get with the common cold. Mixed with grapefruit juice, a tangy superfruit, this drink is healthy and flavourful!
- 2 cups freshly-squeezed grapefruit juice
- Peeled ginger root (approx. 2-inch)
- Peeled turmeric root (approx. 1-inch)
- Crushed ice
- Grapefruit slices, for garnish
- Sparkling water
- Honey (optional)
- Grate ginger and turmeric in a pitcher and pour in grapefruit juice and 1-2 tbsp of honey if you want it to be sweeter. Mix and let it sit for a few minutes to let the flavours develop.
- Strain juice and discard turmeric and ginger remnants. Keep chilled in the refrigerator until serving.
- Pour the juice over ice. Top with sparkling water and garnish with a slice of grapefruit.
Strawberry Chia Seed Refresher
This strawberry drink is tasty and good for you! A healthy diet, rich in a variety of vegetables and fruit may help reduce the risk of heart disease. Plus, chia seeds are loaded with nutrients, omega 3 and fiber that can have important benefits for your body.
- 6 cups water divided
- 3 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 cups strawberries, stems removed
- 1 1/2 cups freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 1/3 cup pure honey
- Mix 2 cups of water and the chia seeds in a large container. Let sit in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes or overnight.
- In a blender, add strawberries and 4 cups of fresh water and blend until the strawberries are pureed. Add the lemon juice, zest and honey to the blender and blend again.
- Add the chia seed water to the lemonade and stir to combine.
- Transfer the chia strawberry lemonade to a pitcher and serve. Garnish with a slice of lemon or strawberry.
Spicy Mango Mockarita
If you can handle the sweet heat of this drink, jalapenos are a good source of fiber and vitamin C and B6 and chili peppers are rich in antioxidant plant compounds. Plus, you’re getting some of your daily fruit intake!
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 cup mango, diced
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 1–2 fresh jalapeno slices (remove seeds for less spice)
- 4 oz mango juice
- On a small plate, combine kosher salt and chili powder. Rub half of a lime on the rim of your glass and dip into spice mix.
- In a cocktail shaker, muddle together mango, lime juice, and jalapeno. Add ice cubes and mango juice and shake. Strain the drink over ice and top with jalapeno or mango.
For more healthy recipes, sign up for our COLD-FX Defence Zone!